GYM FROM MEMBERSHIP PEOPLE ONLY
Khar was a nascent sleepy suburb during the twenties when the Government was offering plots of land and subsidized loans to purchase the land. Some discerning people chose to avail of this generous offer of the Government and started moving in. The place was full of paddy fields, beyond the CKP Hall on the linking road to the south and most of the interior parts to the west of linking road.
A few residents had formed a small association and were thinking of creating an outlet offering recreational facilities to the residents. At one such meetings in 1928 it was the casting vote of the chairman, which favoured the formation of Khar Gymkhana which would be accessible to the Middle Income group people. Initially a small room was made available at the Bungalow, at the corner of the 14th Road, and the C.D. Marg, which is presently known as Jain Arcade. The owner was gracious enough to allow the use gratis. In this room the members gathered in the evenings to play carom or a game of bridge and make future plans as well.
Around this time a Cricket Club known as Khar Young Cricketers led by the Late Mr. Vithaldas Divecha decided to merge with the Khar Gymkhana and activities began in right earnest.
Collection of funds, was pursued diligently and a number of prominent residents were enrolled as patron members. The donation amount was Rs. 500/- for two patrons from the same family. This list grew in number gradually and included some industrialist from the city as well as members of the princely families.
Efforts were simultaneously underway to obtain land and thanks to the efforts of Late Mr. B.G.Kher. (who later become the first Prime Minister of the Bombay State in 1940) The Government was pleased to sanction a piece of land on a long lease on which stands the present building. Efforts were also made at the Bandra Municipality by the Late Mr. Ramrao Nayak and Late Mr. Baloo Palwankar (the Legendary Cricketer) to obtain additional land on the southern side. Thereafter the Cricket pitch was shifted southwards where it stands today. There was also a well inside the Cricket ground which is still there but now covered and the water is being used.