Research in the field of Biotechnology (direct supervision, guidance and hands on training with teaching for all biotechnology related services provided by ATG LAB)
1. Research projects: Molecular identification in Bacteriology: 16S rRNA, ITS, rpoB, Plant Molecular Biology: PCR based Barcoding and gender determination at the juvenile stage, Molecular Biochemistry: Genomics for ATP synthase F0 subunit of alkaliphile. Provided training and project guidance in areas mentioned below: Molecular identification by 16S rRNA gene: Identification of a new bacteria, Molecular identification by ITR: evidence to support 16S rRNA data for identification, Molecular identification by rpoB gene: Identification of very closely related species Bacillus cereus group bacteria, ITS2 as potential gene for DNA barcoding of Tinospora species, Gender determination of plants at juvenile stage by PCR based molecular marker SCAR, Comparative genomic studies of bacteria and viruses by Bioinformatics approach, Sickle cell anemia: Prevalence and management of sickle cell disease; field studies of our NGO, Sickle cell anemia and Beta thalassemia: diagnostic kit development.
2. Training in different areas of Biotechnology: Cloning and rDNA technology, PCR technologies: PCR and Reverse Transcriptase PCR, Genomics and proteomics studies by Bioinformatics approach (comparative protein structure analysis of an isolated gene in wet lab), Blotting techniques (Southern, Northern and Western blotting), DNA (Agaorse gel electrophoresis) and protein electrophoresis (PAGE, Native PAGE and cellulose acetate membrane electrophoresis) etc.
3. Workshops in PCR and molecular biology all over India: Graduate and postgraduate students of Biotechnology and life sciences in and around Pune (Total 6 workshops conducted till date, average strength 50 students per workshop for 2-4 days)
4. Contract research: Bacterial identification based on partial as well as near to complete 16S rRNA gene including nucleotide data submission to NCBI.
5. Current Research projects: Molecular identification in Bacteriology: 16S rRNA, ITS, rpoB subunit, cytochrome c, Bioenergy generation from bacteria, human genetic disorder SNP studies etc.